Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Learning by Experience

I've been writing for a long time. Not only on my stories, but as a technical writer and a training developer. Sometimes it catches me by surprise when I realize how much my writing has changed. Last night I told you that I was going back to Dragon Summer, after abandoning my attempts to change Tycho Station. Parts of this story contain some of my earliest writing attempts. Tonight as I edited the Prologue, which is one of the first things I wrote, I edited out 15 pages of extraneous information. Some of it I saved for future use, but a lot of it I just deleted.

The new prologue is much better. More action, less passive voice, less "stuff" that does not belong or does not add to the story.

How did I figure out what to do? How did I know what to cut?

The biggest factor I believe is the passage of time. Hours and hours of writing. Listening to experts and reading other's work. In other words Experience.

I go back to Heinlein's Rules:
You must write
Finish what you start

If you follow those two rules, consciously or subconsciously, you gain that valuable commodity known as Experience.

At least that's what I think.

Tomorrow I will post the old and the new prologues on the exercpts page and you can judge for yourself. Right now I have to get back to the story. See how far I can get tonight before I give up.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all in my head!

Hi there friends and readers of the DragonHawk Saga! It's Friday and I am happy to report I have resolved some of the major problems I...