Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hurricane Cats

I was looking through some photos of the cats today and got to thinking back about the time we brought them home. They had been to the vet in Galveston, and Big Boy was pretty loopy from the medicine they had given him for an abscess on his head. (Probably from fighting?). We had a pen set up in the back yard for them. The plan was that they would stay in the pen for a couple of weeks until they got used to us.
Well, Baby Girl escaped the first night, disappeared without a trace. We started letting Big Boy out of the pen bit by bit. He would walk around the back yard but then come back to the pen. About a week after Baby Girl disappeared, Big Boy took off.
We were disappointed but we kept a watch for them, putting out food on the front porch from time to time.
One day Cindy looked out of the windows in the study and saw Baby Girl. She put some fresh wet food out and backed away. Baby Girl came up and very carefully ate the food. Then she disappeared again. But she came back the next day. And the next... And the next...  About a week later Big Boy showed up.
Slowly but surely we made friends with them and invited them into the house. Now they are part of the family.
This photo is one of Big Boy and Baby Girl eating together on the front porch, getting used to coming around each day and getting fed.
Now, when I come home from work and the cats see my car coming down the street, they head for the house, knowing its time to eat.
I really love these two cats. I hope they stick around for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all in my head!

Hi there friends and readers of the DragonHawk Saga! It's Friday and I am happy to report I have resolved some of the major problems I...