Friday, December 10, 2010

I was better when I didn't know so much?

Tonignt, while working on the Master Timeline, I was reviewing and reading Gateway Station, the first story I started working on, back in 1985. (I sent out 14 queries in 1990, before I departed on a six month WestPac cruise on the USS Aspro, SSN-648). I think my writing was better then, before I (supposedly) learned all these rules about writing. Back in 1985, when I first started writing about Morgan and Bane and their adventures, the words just seemed to pour out, faster than I could write them down or type them up.

But there was only one story them. And I did not worry too much about how a character got to my story. (Now I know that is called "backstory"). And it did not really matter, because I wasn't trying to connect all these stories into a coherent, linked series.

But now it does matter. I've got Gateway Station, the DragonHawks, parts of the Dragon Hunters, most of Dragon Summer, parts of Dragon's Revenge, Heritage, the DragonHawk War, and so on...

So, I guess I'll keep working on the details and look back on the early part of my writing for inspiration. Maybe that is the key to solving the puzzle that is the DragonHawk Saga.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all in my head!

Hi there friends and readers of the DragonHawk Saga! It's Friday and I am happy to report I have resolved some of the major problems I...